- Will there be a fee for the Blossom service?
No. The service will be free for the life of the Blossom Controller.
- Why won’t you ship outside the US?
Right now we’re focusing on the US so we can manage our technical risk and get a high-quality product out as soon as possible. We definitely plan to expand to all of North America and other geographies soon.
- I have excellent WiFi coverage. Must I use the Blossom 12 unit with the provided powerline bridge?
Nope. Powerline is a simple and effective way to connect the Blossom Controller, especially outdoors or far from your WiFi access point. But it is by no means required. You can use WiFi or powerline – whichever works best for you.
- Will the Blossom App run on my phone?
Yes, almost certainly. Blossom will have a setup and control app for both iOS and Android. Later, we expect to have a traditional web app as well.
- Will the software running on my Blossom Controller soon be out of date?
No, as long as the Blossom Controller is connected to the network, we can update the firmware whenever new capabilities, security enhancements, or bug fixes come along.
- What can I do if Blossom over- or under-waters my yard?
Blossom uses detailed weather data along with sophisticated soil models to determine how much water your garden needs. But we can’t know every detail about your specific situation. Because of this, the Blossom App provides a means to adjust the watering quantity and schedule on a zone-by-zone basis. Over time, we’ll learn your adjustment and incorporate it into our calculations.
- Can the Blossom Controller be mounted outside?
Blossom 12 can be mounted outside. Blossom 8 is for indoor mounting only.
- Why doesn’t Blossom incorporate any sensors?
Sensors can provide useful information, but certain kinds can also be finicky and difficult to install. Moreover, we have found that we can provide good analytics without them. That said, we plan to offer an API (not in the initial release) to integrate sensor data.
- Is there an API where I can access your service for my device, or conversely, control my device using my own software or weather data?
Not at this time, but this is planned for later revisions of the software.
- My current sprinkler installation has a master valve or pump as well as zone valves. Will the Blossom Controller work for me?
Yes! The Blossom Controller provides a master valve output that will be on whenever any of the zones are on.
- What tools do I need to install the Blossom Controller?
If you already have a sprinkler system, all you need is a screwdriver to disconnect the zone wiring, remove the old unit, attach the Blossom Controller and re-connect the wiring.
- Will the Blossom Controller work with my sprinkler valves?
The Blossom Controller is designed to work with any standard 24 VAC sprinkler valve — and we’ve tested quite a few!
- Can I control my sprinklers from my phone in real-time?
Yes you can! The system’s settings can be overridden at any time. Perfect for when the kids want to play in the sprinklers, or when you want to get something off the lawn without getting sprayed!
- My city has put watering restrictions in place. Can the Blossom Controller respect a fixed schedule of “blackout days” when watering is not allowed?
Indeed it can! It’s easy to configure a schedule using the apps.
- What happens when the Internet connection is down?
The Blossom Controller will revert to a fail-safe backup schedule consistent with your settings when it cannot communicate with our servers. The schedule will be updated immediately when the unit is back online. If the Blossom Controller is offline for an extended period, we’ll let you know, through the app and/or email.